Welcome to Live Well STL! We're just getting started and we're adding new events and resources every day. So, explore the site today and visit us often to see what's new.
Please remember to check with your doctor before beginning any new physical activity. Also, events are subject to change so call ahead before attending.
Keeping your resolution for the new year is hard! Finding motivation and time can be difficult, resulting in defeat. These 12 tricks are a great way to keep you healthy and happy in 2017. Each tip can be done in 60 seconds or less, so they're easy to add to a busy life!
1. Drink Before You Eat: Drink two glasses of water a half-hour before mealtime. 16 ounces of water 30 minutes before each meal may prevent overeating and help with weight loss.
2. Power Up With Protein: Whip up some eggs in the morning, or anytime! “Having protein with breakfast helps fill you up and keeps you feeling satisfied for longer,” says Everyday Health nutritionist Kelly Kennedy, RD.
3. Stretch: Starting the day off with at least one minute of stretching can help get your blood flowing, ease morning muscle and joint stiffness, and invigorate you before you pour that first cup of coffee. Take stretch breaks during the day as well!
4. Practice Good Hand Hygiene: Handwashing is one of the easiest and most effective ways to keep from catching and spreading colds, the flu, and other illnesses and infections.
5. Take Grains To Go: Get your fiber fix from portable whole grains in cups. Similar to the instant soup concept, whole grain cups, like Q Cups, can be a snack or side dish in a matter of minutes with a little boiling water.
6. Cut Out Croutons: Add nuts or seeds to salad instead of croutons. This is an easy way to cut down carbs adn boost your nutrient intake.
7. 60 Seconds of Exercise: Take 60 seconds and alternate walking or jogging in place with doing short, fast bursts of jumping jacks, squats, lunges, or sit-ups.
8. Pull Your Own Weight: Your own body weight can be an ideal tool for resistance. In one minute, you can do push-ups, sit-ups, or squats, or combine them into a circuit.
9. Plan Snacks: Healthy snacks give a boost to your metabolism, balance your blood sugar, and help prevent overeating. Planning snacks ahead of time to have on hand, makes you less likely to grab a sugary treat.
10. Think Outside Of The Burrito: Use avocado instead of mayo. Acovados are not just for mexican food, they're very interchangable! High in monounsaturated fat and packed with nutrients, creamy avocado makes a more health-conscious condiment than mayonnaise.
11. Give Yourself A Time Out: One way to regain your sense of calm and balance, manage stress, and help prevent its harmful effects is to meditate. It can be as easy as closing your eyes and breathing deeply, practicing deep breathing on a walk, repeating a mantra, or praying.
12. Keep Happy Hour Happy: Swap the mixed cocktail for a glass of red wine. Many cocktails contain sugary and fatty ingredients, wine can save you 200 or more calories. If you don't like red wine, try lower calorie cocktails that don’t contain sugary mixers. Think, champagne with fresh-squeezed juice, a vodka soda, gin and tonic, or a classic martini.
For more information on each 1 minute tip visit the link below.
Craving delicious baked goods without the gluten? Join Margi Kahn at the oven for a complete bakeover of some of your favorite treats.View More »
Losing your enthusiasm for your New Year’s resolution to eat healthier? Join us and get the “skinny” on some great foods that can help you shop healthier and stay on track. The tour includes a tasting and the opportunity to get all of your food and nutrition questions answered.View More »